Monday, March 14, 2011

Dahab, Egypt, Paradise

10,11,12 March

I recommend Dahab for anyone with a cold and fever to get over. About fifty hotels along a mile beach walk, a hundred cheap restaurants, few buildings taller than two stories, full of European divers and hikers. I was in Eilat, Israel, but it is now a mini-Cancun and a room to be sick in was going to cost $125/night. A little risky with a fever, I crossed the border and found a $10 ride the 90 minutes to Dahab, which was 70 degrees. I stayed three nights, though I was too sick to hike.

En route, I spot my niece and nephew in the back of a truck:



Two consecutive sunrises looking out over the Saudi Arabian mountains:



Most of the Bedouin-owned restaurants look like this:


This outfit's ultimate Sinai tour (cheap for what you get) takes 40 years:


Half Jewish, half Irish from New Jersey, a physics BA from Rutgers, just finished eight months at an orthodox Yeshiva in Israel, is traveling Egypt with bible, Koran and tent, dresses as John the Baptist, likes smoking and clubbing, is big into Facebook:


1 comment:

  1. Larry,

    What an amazing rich combination of cultures, languages, food, costumes, politics, religions, building styles, and historical epochs all co-existing at the same time and place! I guess I still connect Israel with Zionist grandmothers and orthodox with 12 children. I am learning from your blog that there is just a little bit more to it than that.

    Lovely writing and non-touristy tourist view of it all with curiosity, knowledge, background, skepticism, and a wonderful eye for detail and incongruity.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete